This is a version of a traditional recipe for fish and potatoes affectionately known as “hairy tatties” learned from my friend and colleague Jan Bee Brown.
- 6 medium sized potatoes
- 1 small tin of fish
- secret ingredient or two of your choice, eg boiled egg
- tin opener
- bowl snd cutlery to eat it with
- Wash, chop and boil potatoes in salted water for 20 minutes. Keep them unpeeled.
- Drain water then mash the potatoes
- Open tin and add fish: eg mackerel, sardines, tuna
- Mash together with other flavouring ingredients eg butter, lemon juice,garlic, spring onion.
Serve with hot buttered toast and a boiled or poached egg if you like.
You can also roll patties of the mixture in flour, egg and breadcrumbs or oatmeal to make lovely fishcakes.
Marie Louise Cochrane
Mrs Mash loves to combine stories, songs and fascinating food facts and cooking to get children and adults in the mood for good food.